At Newark Academy we understand that transition from Primary to Secondary education can be both an exciting and challenging time for students and parents.
Our Transition Programme is designed to ensure that students are confident and happy about moving up to Newark academy. We start to meet students and parents at the start of Year 5 and build up to a full school visit in the summer term of Year 6. This two year process ensures that all our students are ready for a successful and enjoyable Year 7.
If you have any questions regarding transition, at any stage of the process, please do not hesitate to ask. Staff are always available to answer questions at the various events or you can e-mail the school at any time.
- Step One: Summer Term, Year 5
- The Head of School and a member of the Leadership Team meet prospective parents at their child's current primary school. A short talk will be followed by a question and answer session.
- Step Two: Autumn Term, Year 6
- Pupils and parents are invited to an open evening to look around Newark Academy and meet members of staff in all the teaching departments.
- Step Three: Spring Term, Year 6
- Data will be collected from our primary feeder schools to help arrange admissions.
- Step Four: Summer Term, Year 6
- A member of the Leadership Team and the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator will visit primary schools to talk to pupils and staff.
- Step Five: Summer Term, Year 6
- Year 6 pupils will visit Newark Academy with their classmates for a 'Taster Day' to allow them to familiarise themselves with the school. Pupils with Special Educational Needs may well have additional visits.
How to apply
We welcome visits to the school from prospective parents and students. If you would like to arrange a visit or if you have any questions please contact the school by phone or e-mail.
Applications for a place at Newark Academy should be made through the standard Local Authority process and places will be allocated in the Spring of Year 6.