Welcome to Business
Welcome to our Business Studies home page at Newark Academy.
Business studies is a popular subject with our students here at Newark Academy and our aim is to inspire, motivate and engage all our students regardless of their starting points. In business we believe that all our students have the potential to succeed, and our aim is to release that potential, provide opportunities and challenges in preparation for their GCSE’s, further and higher education and future work prospects, and to set them on their journey of lifelong learning with the confidence to realise the possibilities.
The interest in Business Studies begins with our year 9 students who have opted to study Business following their option choices in year 8.
The teaching of Business studies in year 9 is to embed, provoke curiosity and interest in a vastly changing and dynamic subject that business studies has the potential to provide. Our aim therefore is to build and develop students’ skills, knowledge and understanding needed to successfully prepare them for the first stage of their journey on the path of lifelong learning and their GCSE’s.
Students’ in year 9 are introduced to some of the major business concepts and theories such as:
- Marketing in Business
- Finance in Business
- Customer Service in Business
- Recruitment and selection and an awareness of a range of employability skills needed for the real world of work
As well as developing a range of business skills such as:
- Team work
- Problem Solving
In year 10 and 11 students complete the Edexcel GCSE Business Studies Qualification. The qualification will be assessed in two equally weighted exam papers. There is no coursework.
Paper 1 - Theme 1: Investigating small business
Paper 2 - Theme 2: Building a business
After this qualification you’ll understand the world of business and have developed skills in:
- making decisions and developing persuasive arguments
- creative and practical problem solving
- understanding data, finance and communication.
It’s also a great step preparing you for further and higher education such as A levels and BTEC courses. A GCSE Business course could help prepare you for an entrepreneurial role and help you to gain an understanding of what is involved in a business-related profession, like accountancy, law, marketing or the leisure and tourism industry.
Links to useful resources
- Tutor2u for Business - http://www.tutor2u.net/
- GCSE Edexcel Business - http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/business-2009.html
- GCSE Business Resources http://www.businessstudiesonline.co.uk/GcseBusiness/Activities/activitymenu.htm
- Dragons Den - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006vq92